Fasting is a universal custom advocated by many religions of the world. In Islam it is one of its fundamental articles of faith. It entails total abstinence from food, drink and conjugal relationships from dawn to dusk during the month of Ramadaan together with additional acts of prayer and remembrance of Allah, good deeds and abstention from evil.
This annual experience is not undertaken to obtain a fictitious reputation for piety but as a welcome spiritual, moral and physical exercise of the highest order. The object being control of human desires and appetites through willpower and discipline.
But Ramadaan should also be the month that reminds Muslims of their duties towards family members, parents, close relatives, Muslim brothers and the needy.
Believers are exhorted : "And Hold fast, all together, to the rope of Allah, and be not divided among yourselves. And remember with gratitude Allah's favour on you..." (Noble Quran, Surah Aal Imraan : Verse 103)
Is that not the Unity witnessed in Ramadaan where irrespective of cultures, languages, origins, backgrounds and locations, Muslims share one thing? They all fast from dawn to dusk worshipping one God. They experience the same feeling of thirst and hunger and their hearts are joined in the recitation of the Noble Quran.
Ramadaan softens the heart of the believers and fills them with compassion and affection. Previous pains caused and wrongs by relatives or friends may be forgotten or forgiven for the sake of Allah.
Then is this not incumbent upon us and time to draw lessons to seek unity. It should be conciliation not confrontation, Prophet (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) not profit, humility not ego, love rather than rancour, forgiveness not malice and unity not division.
SANHA and its family of Management, Staff, Certified plants, well wishers and members take this opportunity to wish all a spiritually uplifting and unifying Ramadaan. Our earnest duas is for unity in the Muslim Community this Ramadaan and throughout the year.
Jamiatul Ulama Western Cape (JUWC)
The Jamiatul Ulama Western Cape was established in April 2003, as an initiative of local Ulama with the aim of serving the needs of the Ummah in the Western Cape.
Aims & Objectives
- To provide for the Educational needs of the Ummah in the Cape area;
- Alleviate the plight of the poor and needy, providing welfare assistance, counselling and guidance;
- Co-ordinate Islamic activity;
- Enjoin virtue and forbid evil and protect, preserve and promote the Shariah;
- Foster unity amongst the community.
The membership of the JUWC consists mainly of 'Ulama and Huffaz including Imams Of Masaajid, School Teachers, Madrasah Teachers, Entrepreneurs and Businessmen who form the base of the Jamiatul Ulama Western Cape.
- Teaching Methodology
- Workshop & Advice to Teachers
- Research and Guidance to Scholars
- Hifth, Imaamah and Alim Fadhil Rasmi courses
- Afternoon Madrasah Co-ordination Program
- Adult Refresher courses
- Teacher Empowerment: organising of bursaries and scholarships for Students and Teachers
- 20 Madaaris are affiliated to the Madrasah Coordination Programme of the JUWC
- JUWC is actively involved in assisting the South African National Halaal Authority (SANHA) and is represented on the SANHA Ulama Council
- It also strives in educating the Ummah about Halaal And Haraam
The Welfare Department aims to serve the Ummah through inter alia the following activities:
- Marital Counselling - settling disputes and reconciling spouses
- Drug Counselling - every effort is made to save our youth from this scourge of our times.
- Social Welfare - includes our Feeding Schemes such as Distribution of food hampers for the poor; our Iftaar project (Zamzam, dates and iftaar hampers distributed during Ramadaan); and the Qurbani Project. Our other projects include: Winter Warm (clothing & blankets distributed to the needy); Emergency Relief and Financial Assistance.
This Department is dedicated to building and assisting in establishing Masaajid, Madaaris and Musallaas for Salaah and education purposes.
Telephone: +27 (0)21 633 3191
Fax: +27 (0)21 633 4148
Postal Address: PO Box 328, Gatesville 7766
Nu'maan bin Bashiir radiyallaahu 'anhumaa said:
"Are you not consuming whatever food and drink you like? I saw your Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam not even having enough low quality dates to fill his stomach."
Mawlaanaa Zakariiyaa Kandalwii comments:
The Sahaabi's intention is to persuade one to follow the simple life of Sayyidina Rasulullah Sallallahu 'Alayhi Wasallam. He was reminding us that one lives in this world for only a short period. When the hadith mentions that Sayyidina Rasulullah Sallallahu 'Alayhi Wasallam did not have ordinary dates to fill his stomach then what about bread and curry?
Ash-Shamaail lit-Tirmizii, Chapter on the curry of Rasuulullaah sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam.
Tried and tested recipes from chefs, gourmet connoisseurs, contributors and also from kitchens of our certified plants for your culinary pleasure.
Save the information and make up your own collection of winning recipes.
For this issue we have selected a quick and simple recipe for Haleem.
- ½ kg mutton or one chicken (deboned)
- 2 tsp mashed ginger & garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 1sml finely sliced onion
- 4 medium sized green chillies
- ½ cup oil or ghee (clarified butter)
- 1tsp Allifas tumeric powder
- green shallot
- dhania & mint leaves to taste
- 1 Box Allifas Haleem Mix
- Boil the box of Haleem Mix in 2 ½ litres of water on low heat.
- Use a separate pot to heat oil or ghee
- Braise onion adding neatly cut and washed meat or chicken
- Mash together garlic, ginger, green chilli, tumeric and salt
- Cook meat dry stirring gently for 25/30 minutes then add a cup of water and cook until tender.
- Add tender meat to Haleem mixture and cook for an 1 Ĺ hours.
- Add packet of oats enclosed (with Haleem Mix) and cook for approximately half hour or more.
- Finally add cut up dhania leaves, shallot and mint.
Serve hot with a dash of lemon juice!!
(check competition details to find out how you could win a fantastic Allifas gift hamper)
Do you have a recipe to share with the readers?
Send in your favourite recipe to firstname.lastname@example.org and who knows, you could be our "guest chef" for a future edition of the Halaal e-Bulletin.
One out of every five persons on this planet is a Muslim. He is your neighbour, customer, supplier, employee, boss or friend.
What is the Islamic view on:
Islam considers abortion as murder and does not permit it except to save the motherís life.
- Homosexuality and AIDS:
Islam categorically opposes homosexuality and considers it a sin. However, Muslims and Muslim physicians are advised to treat and care for AIDS patients with compassion just as they would for other sick persons or patients.
- Euthanasia and Suicide
Islam is opposed to both suicide and euthanasia. However, Islam does not condone unnecessary measures to artificially prolong the life of a terminally ill patient, unless there is hope of improvement in thge patient's quality of life.
Adapted from: 25 most frequently asked questions about Islam by Shahid Athar, M.D
Previous Competition - e-Bulletin 14
- Prize: Vouchers to eat at Debonairs Sandton City
- Question: Is it permisible to consume Red wine vinegar / Balsamic vinegar ? Answer: Yes, it is permissible.
- Aaliyah Patel
- Nasrin Bhamjee
- Aishah K
- Cassim Amod
- Soraya Valley (Mrs)
- Bismilla, Faseeha
- Zakiyya Vahed
- Ismail, Hussain
- Abdul Q Banoo
- Jaffer, N. (Nasreen)
Five lucky subscribers could win a fantastic hamper of Allifas products worth One Hundred Rand each.
Answer the following questions:
1) Are Allifas syrups pure or diluted?
2) Can gelatine have a non-animal source of origin?
Closing date: Monday, 24th September 2007
SANHA certifies over 700 establishments ranging from large multi - nationals to many proudly South African enterprises including cottage industries.
We congratulate the following for being awarded the coveted SANHA Halaal Mark of Assurance:
|F&A Homebaked Cookies
||Kempton Park (Gauteng)
||Bellville, Cape Town (Western Cape)
|Lenasia Livestock and Poultry
|Veg - World
||Umbogintwini, KZN South Coast
|Country Fresh Meats
||The Gateway, KZN
For a detailed list of SANHA certified establishments and
other queries, please email email@example.com
Question and Answers
Recently Certified List
Tell Us And We'll
Tell The World
Smile a While
Q: Could please tell me which Knorr Products are Halaal?
A: Kindly be advised that all the Knorr dehydrated products are certified Halaal by SANHA. They include the following:
Knorr liquid products may be queried on a case-by-case basis from our helpline.
- Knorr Soups- Cup a Soup Lite, Regular, Thick n Creamy, Duo Soupy Snax, Cup-a Snack and Packet (household soups)
- Knorr Meal Solutions - Knorr Mac n Cheese, Pasta & Sauce, Chicken Lasagne(Mince), Tuna Mates, Pap Mix, Spice up your rice, Pasta Sauce, Regular and combination packet sauces and gravies, Cook in Sauces(Dry), Packet Marinades
- Knorr Seasonings - Cubes / Aromat
- Knorrox: Cubes, Soya and Soup.
I am an item for whom men have gone to the ends of the earth, fought wars and I have become indispensable to the food industry. You will find me in your home. Do you know me?
- I am a small deciduous tree, native to India but I can also be found growing in wild jungles, farmlands and almost everywhere in the Indian subcontinent excluding the higher levels of the Himalayas. In the East, my range extends into Burma, Malaysia and South, in South Africa and Reunion islands.
Most Indian cuisine cannot do without the subtle flavoring of my highly aromatic leafy spice. I am used as a flavoring for curries, vegetable, fish and meat dishes, soups (rasams), pickles, butter milk preparations, chutneys, scrambled eggs and curry powder blends.
In South Africa, Iím widely available, cheaply priced and very popular...
Have you sniffed me out yet?
That's me... Curry leaf!
- I am nature's wonder... as my fruit appears in different sizes, shapes and colours. My fruit size of some varieties is more than hundred times that of others. I have two very important commercial qualities, my colour and my pungency.
When you find me in larger forms, Iím called "bell peppers".
Most people do not know that I am rich in vitamin C and vitamin A. I am also a good source of most B vitamins, vitamin B6 and very high in potassium , magnesium and iron.
What am I?
I am fiery Chilli!
In a serious world of Halaal we take this moment to bring you a smile, a chuckle or even a hearty laugh. It's therapeutic, so pass it on:
7 Points to Ponder
- One nice thing about egotists: they don't talk about other people.
- If you spin an oriental man in a circle three times, does he become disorientated?
- What do you do when you see an endangered animal eating an endangered plant?
- If love is blind, how can we believe in love at first sight?
- Why are a wise man and wise guy opposites?
- Why does overlook and oversee mean different things?
- Why is lemon juice made from artificial flavour and dishwashing liquid from real lemons?
YOUR NEWS ….. IT PAYS TO ADVERTISE!
TELL US AND WE'LL TELL THE WORLD
Established in 1975. Allifas has grown over the years into a major manufacturer and distributor of spices in South Africa as well as internationally, Clients today are from as far afield as Australia and the United Kingdom.
Whilst over time their product line has increased, Allifas pride themselves on their tried and tested recipes which are still in demand today.
They constantly strive to create new and innovative products to remain ahead of the rest.
All products are manufactured to the highest international standards and they do not succumb to the temptation of diluting their syrups which is becoming prevalent in some quarters.
Customer satisfaction is of priority in running their company and service delivery is very important in gaining customer satisfaction.
All products meet the criteria for Halaal and are SANHA certified.
For the best spices in town try our products and taste for yourself.
For more information you can visit their website : www.allifas.co.za
You have a wonderfull bulletin. Good on you, regards.
Jazakumullah Khairan for taking the time and effort to offer us your words of encouragement on the Halaal eBulletin.
Kindly forward email addresses of friends and family for free subscription to firstname.lastname@example.org
18 - 21st October 2007|
Discover Islam Exhibition at the CTIC
9-11th December 2007
Global Halal & Islamic Business Forum, Abu Dhabi Convention Centre
Abu Dhabi, UAE
Recent Announcements !!
WIMPY THE ZONE
Kindly note that the above store is
NO LONGER HALAAL CERTIFIED
as from the 1st September 2007.
- Nutri Foods, Pietermaritzburg (KZN) - Closed down
- A & D Meats, Sebenza - non-compliance
- Wimpy - @ the Zone (Rosebank) - Change of ownership
- Magrizza Bakery, Pretoria - Change of ownership